Main info about the trail
Access to the Oriented Nature Reserve is allowed with prior authorization to alk 10 days before to the Raggruppamento Carabinieri Biodiversità – Reparto Biodiversità di Caserta – Corso Trieste 8, Caserta – Mail email@example.com – PEC firstname.lastname@example.org – Tel. +390823354693.
The opening days are indicated in the attached files:
How to get thereThe trail begins in Piazza Flavio Gioia in Amalfi, end of line of SITA buses from Salerno and Sorrento and main stop of ferries from Salerno, Capri and Positano, operating daily from April to October.
Points of interest along the trailAmalfi (5), Intersection 361 (7), Intersection 323 (18), Intersection 359 (25), Intersection 323a Rudere delle Ferriere (244), Intersection 325a Acquedotto (288), Riserva Naturale Orientata (285).
Water pointsFontana Sant'Andrea Fontana Cap e Ciuccio Fontana Madonna del Rosario Sorgente Riserva Naturale Orientata
This trail cuts through the town of Amalfi and the marvellous “Valle delle Ferriere” located alongside the stream named “Canneto”. It was a thriving industrial district from 1200 to 1800, well known for the production of paper and now the home to the “Riserva Naturale Orientata”, where one can still find a kind of fern (Woodwardia Radicans) that dates back to the pre-glacial era.
The trail begins in Flavio Gioia square (5 mt), end of line of buses and ferries. Gain access to the city centre via “Porta della Marina” on the left of which are located the “Arsenals of the Republic”, once the docking harbor of the Dukedom of Amalfi and today home of the “Museum of the compass and of the Dukedom of Amalfi”. The majestic cathedral of Sant’Andrea Apostolo dominates Piazza Duomo. It was built in 987 and in its 1203 crypt are located the remains of Saint Andrew. Beside the Cathedral are the 1268 Cloister of Paradise, the 1180 bell tower and the 9th century “Basilica del Crocifisso”. Proceed north along Amalfi’s main street (Via Lorenzo d’Amalfi – Via Pietro Capuano) and the first part of “Valle dei Mulini” (Via Marino del Giudice – Via delle Cartiere) up to the Paper Museum, once a paper mill and today a museum where it is possible to admire the traditional process to handcraft paper. From the Paper musuem take a right (Via Orso Leone Comite) and just after a few meters take the steps to left (Via Grade Lunghe) leading to the ancient paper mill district. Along the way, enriched by lemon trees, one encounters the De Luca Papermill, the church of the “Madonna del Rosario”, the Amatruda papermill, the remains of the lower hydroelectric powerplant, the remains of the Lucibello-Confalone Papermill, those of the Marino Papermill, the upper hydroelectric powerplant (still supplying) and the remains of the “Ferriera” (244 mt). On this last site, the local industry would mine the iron from the rocks imported from the Isle of Elba. Follow the track along the stream named Canneto and cross it at 288 meters altitude, location of the “Acquedotto” thus named because it supplies the water to the hydroelectric powerplant. From this point, take a right up to the “Riserva Naturale Orientata” (285 mt), accessible only if authorised by the State forestry Corps.